For years 495 Garage Door has proudly served residential homeowners in the Washington, D.C. metro area with premium garage door installation & repairs. Our attention to detail and commitment to prioritizing the needs of each customer have been the driving force behind our company’s success.
Backed by years of hands-on experience in the service and repair of broken, jammed, noisy garage doors, 495 Garage Door understands exactly what it takes to make a difference in the lives of the customers who rely on expedient repair services. We know that behind every call is a local family seeking to get the most efficient routine or emergency garage door service for a reasonable price.
Our technicians undergo extensive training, and are equipped with the highest quality parts and tools for each job. This ensures our customers receive the very best service experience, and peace of mind knowing that their garage door problems have been resolved completely.
20 Point Garage Door Inspection Checklist
495 Garage Door performs garage door inspections, garage door maintenance, and tune-ups for residents in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C. We fully evaluate the condition of your garage door, checking for mechanical issues and ensuring that it meets all safety standards. Each component is thoroughly examined for wear & tear that may not be apparent to the average person. After many cycles of use, it is natural that components like the springs, rollers, brackets, and hinges may be damaged and require replacement. Our tune-ups also include lubrication to keep all parts moving smoothly and quietly.
Our thorough checklist of your garage door includes the following items, with a brief overview of each:
- Balance & alignment. First we check that the door is balanced in all states between opening & closing, and that the door is correctly aligned as it moves through the tracks.
- We inspect the springs and spring shaft for rust and deterioration and measure them to ensure they are an adequate size for your garage door’s weight.
- Cables and Drums. Cables and drums are part of the counterbalance assembly that lifts the door and keeps it balanced. They are inspected for damage such as fraying or kinking.
- Center Bearing. Part of the spring mechanism, we inspect for wear and tear or burned out bearings. We also check the center support bracket for signs of bending or other fatigue that could lead to more serious damage.
- End Bearing Plates. These plates, located outside of the drums at each end of the spring bar, allow it to turn freely as the door opens and closes.
- Rollers. These are the ‘wheels’ of your garage door that move along the horizontal and vertical tracks. We inspect every roller for signs of wear and tear, or damage. Properly cared-for rollers that are lubricated well will easily roll instead of sliding.
- Top & Bottom Brackets. Top brackets hold the top roller in place, and bottom brackets do the same for the bottom rollers as well as holding the cables. We inspect these meticulously for wear and damage and to make sure they are affixed securely.
- Vertical & Horizontal Tracks. The rollers fit into these tracks, keeping the door within the designated path it needs to travel in to open & close. Tracks are susceptible to bending and other damage or obstructions.
- Jamb Brackets. These brackets attach the tracks on each side of the garage door opening.
- Struts. Struts add support and stability to the garage door structure. Generally, garage doors have a strut mounted across the top of the door section, but they can be included on any panel. Additional struts may be added to correct damage to the door, or if the weight of the door requires extra support.
- Hinges. Hinges connect each panel section of the door, allowing it to bend as it moves from a horizontal to vertical position. The hinges are critical to the structural integrity of the panels of your garage door. We inspect these for damage and proper function.
- Weather Seal. Also known as astragals, weather seals are rubber strips located at the bottom of the garage door. This seal helps prevent outside air, rain & snow, other debris, or pests & insects from entering your garage. Keeping this seal intact can help keep your home more energy efficient in the winter months. We inspect for brittleness, dry rot and any other damage.
- Door Sections (interior/exterior). We inspect each section of the door itself, checking for dents, dings, tearing in the metal, or any other damage that may impede the door’s function.
- Photo Eyes. These sensors, also called safety eyes, are a vital safety feature that keep the door from closing if they sense a person, object, or pet is within the door’s path. We check for misalignment, dirtiness or other obstructions on the lenses, and faulty wires that could cause the eyes to malfunction.
- Opener Controls. We inspect the controls for function and efficiency.
- Opener Wires. We check the wire coating and replace malfunctioning wires as needed.
- Opener Trolley/Carriage. The trolley pulls and pushes the opener arm to lift/close the garage door. We inspect it for damage and grinding in the screw drive.
- Motor Gears & Sprocket. Motor gears are a part of the garage door opener and are susceptible to wear and tear in the belt and chain drive - we check their condition for signs of deterioration and the chain for proper tension.
- Limit Adjustments. The limit switches are settings that control how far the door will travel while opening or closing.
- Force Adjustments. The force of the motor may also be adjusted. We make sure both limits & force are at the correct settings to guarantee maximum safety and function.
Our expertise and experience working with all the major garage door brands allow us to make accurate estimates on a host of garage door repair issues such as broken cables, spring repair, garage door opener repair, and other garage door problems.
If you are looking for garage door inspection services near you, our center is conveniently located in Silver Spring MD. We also serve customers all over the Washington DC Metro area (Maryland, Virginia, and Washington). Call us today at 1-844-495-DOOR.GET A QUOTE